The original fire station of the Washington Bottom VFD was constructed on land donated by the Palmer family. Construction of the original fire station was completed in 1958. The original station had two bays and a meeting area. Over the next 50+ years, the original station was added to (a third truck bay and a storage area) and remodeled.
In 2010, the fire station roof began collapsing. Since the construction of the original station, the fire department had outgrown the current station. Apparatus were double stacked in truck bays and there was a lack of storage space for equipment and maintenance items. Due to these factors, it was determined that the station needed to be rebuilt to suit current needs.
The apparatus and all equipment was moved from the deteriorating structure to a temporary fire station. This move allowed us to continue to provide our services to the community until a new station could be constructed.
Station after addition of a third truck bay. This is how the station looked until its demolition in 2010
In the fall of 2010, the original fire station was demolished and a new fire station was constructed on the same site as the original. The new fire station was dedicated on June 4th, 2011. The new station has six truck bays, a meeting/classroom area for 30+ people, and abundant storage space for equipment and maintenance items.
Meeting/classroom area of new station
Truck bay area of new station
American flag hanging at the rear of the truck bay area
Go To The Top Of The Page